Italian heritage groups have expressed opposition to proposals to build a new structure near Rome's Borghese Gallery, arguing that the project would harm one of the world's most famous museums for the sake of mass tourism.
Questa notizia è stata tradotta con DeepL per consentirti di leggere subito in italiano il notiziario della Reuters. Nessuna traduzione automatica è perfetta né può sostituire i traduttori umani.
ROME, May 14 - Italian heritage groups have said they will battle proposals to build a new structure near Rome’s Borghese Gallery, saying the project would damage one of the world’s most famous museums for the sake of mass tourism. The Borghese collection, which brings together Baroque masterpieces by Bernini, Caravaggio, Raphael and Titian, is housed in a 17th century villa that sits in a Rome park, complete with landscaped gardens and ornamental fountains.
The proposed expansion, which is only at an initial phase, would involve creating a new building in an area adjacent to the gallery, allowing the museum to display more of its collection and increase visitor numbers. The gallery limits entry to 180 people per time slot, which are often booked out weeks in advance, leaving many tourists who pour into Rome disappointed.
The museum has said it needs more space, including to show works currently kept in storage, and has proposed holding an international competition for the architectural design. It is due to give more information on the project next week.
However, several heritage groups said building in such a sensitive setting would upset the balance between art and nature that has survived for more than four centuries.
“One must truly hope that this outrage is cancelled,” the Friends of Villa Borghese association wrote on Facebook, promising to take legal action to halt the scheme. “The mere idea of injecting one cubic metre of concrete into the Borghese park … amounts to a resounding blasphemy against the nation’s cultural heritage,” said Tomaso Montanari, an art professor and an expert on Roman Baroque.
Rome City Council has approved a preliminary, fact-finding mission by the museum, but said this was non-binding and denied reports that it had given its blessing to the enlargement.
“Rome Capital is interested in being involved in this initiative from the outset, in order to ensure the full compatibility of the plans … with the need to protect Villa Borghese,” the municipality said in a statement. Rome has seen a sharp increase in tourists following the COVID-19 pandemic, with a record 22.9 million visitors booking into registered accommodation last year, against some 14 million a decade earlier.
This surge has swamped many of Rome’s main tourist attractions, with almost 15 million people going to the Colosseum last year. The Borghese Gallery registered a record 630,760 visitors in 2025, against 506,440 a decade earlier.
ROMA, 14 maggio - I gruppi di tutela del patrimonio culturale italiano hanno dichiarato che si opporranno alla proposta di costruire una nuova struttura vicino alla Galleria Borghese di Roma, affermando che il progetto danneggerebbe uno dei musei più famosi del mondo a vantaggio del turismo di massa. La collezione Borghese, che riunisce capolavori barocchi di Bernini, Caravaggio, Raffaello e Tiziano, è ospitata in una villa del XVII secolo situata in un parco di Roma, con giardini e fontane ornamentali.
La proposta di espansione, che è solo in una fase iniziale, comporterebbe la creazione di un nuovo edificio in un’area adiacente alla galleria, consentendo al museo di esporre un maggior numero di opere della sua collezione e di aumentare il numero di visitatori. La galleria limita l’ingresso a 180 persone per fascia oraria, che spesso sono prenotate con settimane di anticipo, lasciando delusi molti turisti che si riversano a Roma.
Il museo ha dichiarato di aver bisogno di più spazio, anche per esporre le opere attualmente conservate nei depositi, e ha proposto di indire un concorso internazionale per il progetto architettonico. Tuttavia, diversi gruppi di tutela del patrimonio culturale hanno affermato che la costruzione in un ambiente così delicato avrebbe sconvolto l’equilibrio tra arte e natura che è sopravvissuto per più di quattro secoli.
“Bisogna davvero sperare che questo oltraggio venga cancellato”, ha scritto su Facebook l’associazione Amici di Villa Borghese, promettendo di intraprendere un’azione legale per fermare il progetto. “La sola idea di iniettare un metro cubo di cemento nel parco Borghese… equivale a una clamorosa bestemmia contro il patrimonio culturale della nazione”, ha dichiarato Tomaso Montanari, professore d’arte ed esperto di barocco romano.
Il Comune di Roma ha approvato una missione preliminare di accertamento dei fatti da parte del museo, ma ha dichiarato che non è vincolante e ha smentito i reporter secondo cui avrebbe dato la sua benedizione all’ampliamento.
“Roma Capitale è interessata a essere coinvolta in questa iniziativa fin dall’inizio, al fine di garantire la piena compatibilità dei piani … con l’esigenza di tutelare la Villa e il parco…. con la necessità di proteggere Villa Borghese”, ha dichiarato il Comune in un comunicato. Roma ha visto un forte aumento dei turisti in seguito alla pandemia COVID-19, con un record di 22,9 milioni di visitatori che hanno prenotato in strutture ricettive registrate l’anno scorso, contro i circa 14 milioni di un decennio prima.
Questa impennata ha sommerso molte delle principali attrazioni turistiche di Roma, con quasi 15 milioni di persone che si sono recate al Colosseo lo scorso anno. La Galleria Borghese ha registrato un record di 630.760 visitatori nel 2025, contro i 506.440 del decennio precedente. Scrivici per correzioni o suggerimenti:
Borghese Gallery Baroque Masterpieces Caravaggio Raphael Titian Expansion Architectural Design Cultural Heritage Sensitive Setting Art And Nature Balance
United States Latest News, United States Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Luciano Darderi shakes up Rome Masters, progresses to Italian Open fourth round with Zverev comebackItalian tennis player Luciano Darderi emerged victorious in his Italian Open third round match against Alexander Zverev, overturning the odds and scoring four match points in the second set. He will now face Rafael Nadal in the fourth round.
Read more »
L’ampliamento della Galleria Borghese sta già facendo discutereÈ uno dei musei più frequentati di Roma, in uno dei posti più amati: non c'è ancora un progetto ma ci sono le critiche
Read more »
Misteri a Villa Borghese: la seconda e ultima puntata va in onda stasera, 14 maggio 2026Questa sera, 14 maggio 2026, appuntamento con la seconda e ultima puntata di Buonvino - Misteri a Villa Borghese. Scopriamo insieme le anticipazioni dell'episodio finale della serie con Giorgio Marchesi.
Read more »
Cate Blanchett nel 1999 con il caschetto biondo più tenero e borghese di sempreEn la carrera hacia su tercer Oscar, repasamos la filmografía de Cate Blanchett a través de sus mejores películas y los personajes que han marcado su trayectoria profesional.
Read more »
